Saturday, September 29, 2012

Change of Scenery

After a lengthy break from this blog, I'm back to update and announce some changes.  After losing my job due to budgetary adjustments last spring, and then looking at all sorts of jobs throughout the summer, I took a job as a high school reading teacher at a large urban school.  Since I left an affluent, suburban elementary school, you would think this would be a huge adjustment.  That hasn't been the case at all.  A few years ago, I taught summer school at this same school so I knew what to expect, and that helped me make the decision.  I have already found that there isn't much difference between teaching 1st grade readers and 10th grade struggling readers - the skills you work on are the same, it's just a different setting.  So far, I am truly enjoying my new position.

There aren't a great deal of high school blogs out there, so I'm hopeful that I can be a resource for other HS teachers.  I will continue to share any of my materials that I use.  Many of the organizers and activities I have created will work across grades and subject areas. Here is one I am using for text connections:

Text Connections

I may also open a Teacher's Notebook shop.  I am a reading teacher without books, dictionaries, etc. - I want to try to build up some materials for my students, and that might be a good way to do so.  Have a great weekend!Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment